A sustainable agriculture farming system is about meeting the present food or textile needs of a society without interfering with the ecological aspect of future generations. Through the maintenance of farms, a sustainable agriculture system emphasises on economic stability. Helping farmers to improve techniques, methods, and quality is also a target of sustainable farming.
Discover the Roles of Engineers in Sustainable Agriculture
Climate changes and other factors affecting the sustainability of agriculture have prompted research on promotion, increased usage of new or renewable energy, and innovative environmental technologies. Such measures are relevant to the agricultural engineering profession. Herewith are the roles the specialists play in sustainability.
- Making sure adequate, as well as a safe supply of food, is achieved in the expanding population.
- Managing and protecting water, air, energy resources, and soil. Without these essential elements, agriculture may not thrive. Plants and animals both heavily rely on water, land and other resources.
- Helping farmers by contributing to high food production, quality, and proper storage. Moreover, food processing, packaging, and marketing are other roles engineers assist in for the sustainability of agriculture.
- Assisting in the reduction of poverty and improving the welfare of farmers.
- Guiding poor farmers to raise income through in-person interactions helps to avoid environmental degradation, conserve natural resources, and control pollution.
- Reducing the drudgery of jobs done in rural life. This is possible through ensuring labour productivity and enabling convenient operation for better productions.
- Creating awareness about problems experienced in the society in rural areas through educating the farmers.
- Designing the safe equipment essential in food processing. Farmers are unable to preserve harvests￼ because they have no reliable facilities. With this, storing perishable things is difficult. As such, without the equipment, the sustainability plan may not be achieved.
- Reducing soil erosion by providing ideal prevention methods. Thus, unused land can be utilised for more food production.